Wall Street Survivor

Saturday, July 26, 2008

In the News

Groom Assaulted!

Police were called to a local Veterans of Foreign Wars post at 1 a.m., where the found a man bloodied, bruised and sitting on the ground outside the hall. The groom reported that he was assaulted during his wedding reception by his best man. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment. The best man admitted to the assault.

Obviously, the groom should have chosen a better man for the ceremony. Let's hope he had better taste in women.


Who Needs In-flight Action Movies!

A domestic flight was diverted after a passenger stripped nude and later tried to open an emergency exit door before being subdued by the members of a professional soccer team and others. Tie wraps were placed on the man until he was taken into custody in Oklahoma City.

Now, that's what I call entertainment! I've been on plenty of flights that could have used a little action to spice things up. Since some airlines have discontinued movies, maybe they should think Reality TV skits. The most fun I've had on a flight was watching cheap, old people filch bags of nuts off the flight attendant's cart while she wasn't looking. Ooh, that was before the airlines snatched the gratis goodies from on board to save money. Then they started charging for baggage so we couldn't bring our own case of nuts for free.



Reverend Needs His Own Revival

A pastor brought out a dirt bike during a church service to demonstrate the concept of unity, showing how the rider would become one with the bike. Somehow, the machine got away from him and in unity, of course, they drove off a 5-foot platform into the first row of seats. The pastor sustained a broken wrist. No report on the injuries to the bike.

I'll bet that awoke the sermon sleepers! Revival preachers used to be Bible-thumper's, but I guess this younger generation needs more to hold its attention. Nothing like a man-of-the-cloth doing a modern day impression of a winging angel to accomplish that. His wife reported that her husband's pride was bruised. I'll bet there's more than that black and blue under his robe.



Clipper Killing

A Milwaukee County man is accused of shooting his lawn mower because it wouldn't start. A criminal complaint was filed against him. He told the police, "I can do that. It's my lawn mower and my yard, so I can shoot it if I want."

Right on, brother! I had a mower that won't start pull after pull. It's frustrating because, by the time you get the dang thing going, you're too tired to cut the grass. I cussed at it, kicked it, and threw things at it, but I never thought of shooting it. At least he knows why it won't start now. I say the man should be allowed to get away with "mowder."





On a Serious Note...


Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist, died yesterday. Randy's "last lecture"about facing terminal cancer became an Internet sensation and a best-selling book. He was 47 and left a wife and three children.

With a heavy heart, I read the obit in our local paper this morning. I only got to know Randy through the media like many of you. Even so, he and I had some things in common which are the reasons I think made me so sad as I read. We were both teachers, always hoping our students would find value in what we said to them about life and living. Carnegie Mellon is 30 miles south of where I live and near the university where I did my graduate work. Randy loved to laugh and valued a good sense of humor. I do, too. Randy was a writer and a blogger like I am. I know I am not and never will be the person Randy was to his family, friends, students, and even strangers. I don't share with you our similarities for comparison. I guess I'm trying to explain to myself why the death of a person I had never met affected like it did. Randy touched millions souls by living courageously and dying humbly. Thanks for the lecture, Randy.

2 comments:

CharmaineZoe said...

Well they do say truth is stranger than fiction - ain't that the truth :-) Love your blog so have nominated you for the Kick Ass Blogger Award. Make sure you visit my blog for further details.

Lawyer Girl06 said...

wow...interesting ...lol..i love this entry...hmm

Click the green button below if you like this website!

Add to Technorati Favorites

Search 2.0