Wall Street Survivor

Monday, January 5, 2009

The Snowbirds Have Landed

Readers,

I said I would never have a journal-type blog, but I've changed my mind. I want to share with you our adventures here in Florida. We arrived on Jan. 1 with little difficulty compared to our other road trips. The car door didn't slam on my arm and give me a giant hematoma that lasted for months, we didn't have our room search by the police because my husband was seen walking the dog near a car theft, the dogs didn't lock us out of a motel room (see a previous posting for that story), and no one tried to scam an elderly couple staying next to us to open the door to him in the middle of the night so he could rob them. Max (our doxie) didn't upchuck his kibbles even once, thanks to Dramamine.

This year we arrived at two accidents on Interstate 95 before the police. They were of the multi-car variety where someone hits the breaks and eight cars behind him suddenly link up like roller coaster cars. No one appeared to be seriously injured, but there were many unhappy campers. Clemson fans on the way to their team's bowl game in Tampa and senior snowbirds headed for warmer parts don't mix well on an interstate with a 70 mph speed limit of which no one obeys.

I finally breathed a sigh of relief when we saw that the house I rented over the Internet truly existed. My sister kept voicing her concerns over the holidays that the ad was a ruse and the photos were bogus. I've rented a condo and three houses using the Internet over the last couple of years and haven't been disappointed or conned on any of them. She told me that I'm due for trouble and would spend three months living in the pick-up truck with my hubby and two (left one with my dad) dogs. The house is in a development two miles south of Hudson on the Gulf coast, about 30 minutes north of Clearwater/St. Pete. The community layout is such that each house faces the street, but the back faces a canal. It's so relaxing to have my AM coffee on the rear patio and look out over the water. Today, a dolphin surfaced at our seawall! I'm told that dolphins don't usually come up the canals so the sighting was special. The house is well-equipped and stocked. I've found 50 rolls of toilet paper and an equal number of rolls of paper towels. The house cleaner must have a germ phobia because there are five large tubs of disinfecting wipes and enough bottled water to hydrate 100 camels. The kitchen has all the gadgets so the half of my kitchen that hubby packed was unnecessary. He got carried away this year with his preparedness. The giveaway was when two life jackets appeared in the garage during unloading. It's comforting to know that if a tsunami blankets the area, we will be able to swim to higher ground wearing our preservers.

During our first couple of days we familiarized ourselves with the area by locating all the necessities: a Publix (hubby's grocery store of choice), a Wal-Mart, a manicure/pedicure shop, the giant flea market, a Beall's outlet, and the golf courses. We're set, now. Other establishments will be found as needed like the emergency room of a local hospital. Last year I pulled an ab muscle pushing a broken down golf cart (long story). The muscle began spasming so I had to go to an emergency room where I stood for three hours waiting to be seen by a doctor. The receptionist apologized later for the long wait because she forgot I was there. The waiting room emptied three times except for me! I was hard to miss since I flinched with every spasm and couldn't bend to sit.

Today we played golf. Hubby insisted going to the course early to hit practice balls. I don't like to waste any good shots I might have in me on the range. He swings, I watch. Then we go onto the course and I beat the snot out of him. Today, we played to see who had to do the supper dishes (no dishwasher). Tomorrow we play the same course so I'm going to up the ante to who does the laundry. I know where NOT to go on the course now.

Other highlights: Our mail is being forwarded. Last year it was lost for a month before anyone in the US Postal Service could find it.

We discovered that the sofa is actually two recliners separated by a cushion. Probably not a big deal for anyone whose dog hasn't claimed the only free-standing recliner and is willing to bite to keep it.

No-see-'ems are nasty, nearly microscopic insects that bite.

The "Goodie Bar" ice cream vendor works the neighborhood.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very nice......

Click the green button below if you like this website!

Add to Technorati Favorites

Search 2.0